I use flashing for negs I have produced that may be a bit different than what you are up too.

for example... When making negatives for lith prints BUT NOT FOR ILFORD WARMTONE... I want a very contrasty negative... I use a push situation.. tri x rated at 800 or 1200, then I push process/extend the time in HC110 to get a very hot neg.
Remember the old adage of being able to read a newspaper through a negative, and you would have a good neg.
Well you would not be able to read a newspaper through the highlights of my lith negs...

I use a grade 4 paper, some that come to mind are oriental or slavich...
The use of the flash is to put tone in the highlight regions , rather than a tool to control contrast, but since you put tone in an area that if you did not flash would be white then the effect is a visual lower contrast... for this type of lith print you are pulling the print when the blacks emerge to your tastes.

there fore if you follow this line of reasoning,,, more exposure - flatter the scene less exposure -more contrast....

Therefore the enlarger manipulations control the highlight regions and midtones.... the snatch point controls your black.

For ILFORD WARMTONE I use a normal / normal negative as I use this paper for a completely different look .. not like lets say Anton Corjbin Startrax stye which is look that I described above.
But rather when I want something to look old, or with toning very colourful.

If I understand this thread, your original is much different than anything I have experience with and therefore you can take what I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
Makes sense based on my little bit of trial last night. It was the funky developer so I didn't delve too far....
If I generally like the exposure at 30s (and increasing causes other problems) but want less contrast is it a 'total' calculation?
Say 5s of flash and 25s of exposure. Or would I do 5s flash and keep the 30s exposure?
Of course I'll play with it but I need to get in the ball park and understand it a bit more.