Alan's posting made me think again about how to measure. Teaspoons and tablespoons make it easy.
What do folks think of this idea?:

The problem is: To make some one-shot developer, you need to measure some sulfite powder and concentrate liquid.
My idea is to use plastic medicine cups, like these:
http://www.amazon.com/%60Medicine-Cu...+medicine+cups
That low price is for a package of 100, so the individual cups cost almost nothing.

Step 0: Before measuring anything, you draw two horizontal lines at the correct fill-levels on a cup using a black felt-tip marker. You only need to do this once, and the black lines make it easy to see the fill-levels.

Step 1: Measure the sulfite powder, tapping the side of the cup to flatten the surface of the powder (and to compact it).
Step 2: Pour into the empty beaker.
Step 3: Measure the concentrate liquid.
Step 4: Place the medicine cup in the beaker (on the powder).
Step 5: Add the correct amount of water to the beaker.
Step 6: Stir until the powder is dissolved, and remove the cup from the beaker.

The advantage of this approach is it can handle any quantities, such as 225 ml for 35mm SS tanks, or 550 ml for 120-film in Paterson, or anything else. But are the above steps too much of a hassle?

Mark Overton

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
A plastic Tablespoon was dipped into sodium sulfite,wiped off level with a card.Consecutive weights (grams) were:
25.3,23.5,23.5,23.7,23.3,24.5,24.3,24.3,23.6,24.0; Average=24.0g
I daresay 2 level plastic Tablespoons of sodium sulfite would be OK for this formula.
I am in favor of spoons because I remember Crawley's FX-55 developer, great developer, nobody AFAIK uses it because it calls for ingredients to be weighed out each time to make the working solution.
As there is no international spoon users would need to calibrate their spoon first.
And remember to use the multiplying factor if use 8-mol sodium metaborate,the formula above is for 4-mol.