Just today I came across above thread, I do not stop by APUG that often. Cannot pretend to have it read completely nor understand everything, but it is truly a heroic and determined effort Mark !

I am test driving InstantMytol now for about 6 months, and have been very satisfied with it, so I wonder why you did not give that formula a try (or perhaps you did).

Just FYI I'll post my procedure below, but really Jordan Wosnick should be credited for this developer !

Best,

Cor

InstantMYTOL

Stock solution in propylene glycol / triethanolamine:
Start with 13.4 ml hot triethanolamine (hotplate at 100degC)
25 ml hot propylene glycol
11.5 g ascorbic acid
0.15 g phenidone

Stir until all solids have dissolved (it will take quite a while, and may require the addition of 1-2 ml of water). Dilute with hot propylene glycol to a final volume of 50 ml.

Solution turns brown after about 6 months!

Make 15% Sodiumsulphite (anhyd.) solution and distribute to smaller bottles with either 60 ml (35mm) or 100 ml 15% sulfite solution. Fill completely with MQ ( that is destilled water, actually Millipore filtered) to avoid oxidation.

For 35 mm film, equal to Xtol 1:1 (end volume 300ml):

7.5 ml InstantMytol + (15 gr sulfiet);
Small 100 ml bottle with 60 ml 15 % sulfiet, fill with MQ.
(to prevent oxidation to sulphate)

For 120 film, equal to Xtol 1:1 (end volume 500ml):

12.5 ml InstantMytol + (9 gr sulfiet);
Small 100 ml bottle with 100 ml 15 % sulfiet, fill with MQ.

(btw dispensing the viscuos liquid is not easy, I use a very small 10 and 20 ml graduates for that, and even than it take effort and thorough rinsing of teh graduate)