Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
Yes, that thing is going to spoil me. But I figured out a trick for getting a temperature into the meter: apply a resistance to the ATC connector using a potentiometer. That way one can simply dial-in the temp seen on the thermometer. This evening, I tried various resistors and got a table of corresponding temperatures from the meter, so now I know what kind of resistor-network to solder together. That's another electronic hack until I find a temp probe (and I like your idea of an electrode with built-in temp sensor).
Since you like playing with electronics, you should just make yourself a temp probe. You've discovered the "secret" of the ATC probe that it's simply a resistance sensor - look around for a 10K thermistor as I think that's what's used in ATC probes. You may need an additional adjustable resistor to adjust the base reading of the termistor. Check you're owner's manual as it may say.

Then search around here on APUG in the emulsion making forum - I think PE and I posted photos of ion specific electrodes that we had made. You can use the same technique to make the ATC probe. Get a length of glass tubing that's long enough to support with your pH electrode and reach the solution, and also big enough in diameter that you can slip the thermistor and wires into the end of it. Thinner glass will give quicker response time but you want it thick enough that it will be rugged enough.

Then use a torch to seal one end of the tube and fire polish the other end. After it's cooled, use a smaller tube to transfer some epoxy into the seal end of the glass tube. Then QUICKLY insert the thermistor and lead wires into the electode housing and set them into the epoxy. Then seal the open end of the glass tubing with some more epoxy.

Fit whatever connectors you need for your meter, and you're all set!