Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
Because it is marketing fluff that leads you into thinking there is some inherently good thing that the film is silver rich. That is only a part of the equation. There is a limit to how much silver you can put into an emulsion without losing the excess straight into the fixer with no apparent effect.

I guess the term may be "silver rich" in relation to the t-grain films but it is worded in such a way that it sounds like something otherworldly, while Silvermax is in fact in the ballpark of film technology such as Kentmere, Ilfords FP4/HP5 or any sort of traditional film. Of course I cannot say anything about its qualities, and it may well be a very good film. I sincerely hope so, and I would like Mirko and the crew to succeed - we all would benefit from diversity. Now that I have said all this, I am going to have to buy it and try it.

I think it would be better to highlight the fact that it is a newly made film, that it is made in new facilities in Bad Saarow, that they are going to continue to support it, that it is possible to do slides with it, etc. Just that - and show us some real world examples. Get it out there, send off a pack or two to some good photographers, let them show what you can do with it. I guess that counts more than any amount of silver.

APUG has a long history of members debating the use of the term “silver rich”. One thread had to be locked because folks were so passionate on either side!
I find it inappropriate for folks (Michel Hardy-Vallée, Jerevan, et al) to be disparaging a manufacturer for using a term that commonly understood to us analog photographers. Silver rich is used to describe an emulsion that is traditional/cubic/not-tabular. It is not marketing BS or a gimmick as some have suggested. How is this, if anyone can have David Prakel amend his book Basics Photography: Working in Black & White and remove the word from future publications and thus rid the world of the term Silver Rich, then I will concede that the debate that some lobbed to Mirko about the semantics of using the term silver rich was valid. Also Steve Anchell’s [i]The Darkroom Cookbook[/] mentions the term, he does say it is a buzz word used to describe traditional emulsions but doesn’t that by virtue establish the word’s credibility?
The consumers are not confused, ADOX is trying to differentiate their film from tabular films (Delta, TMAX, Acros 100), what harm is that? This need to protect the consumer from buzz words that have become understood in our small community (analog photogs) is not needed in my view. We have lost many films in the last few months (Efke, PlusX, Ektachrome), the last we need is folks calling out a manufacturer for the use of terms in their press releases.
Some wonder why Kodak has never joined APUG, it is no wonder to me why they are not around here….
Prakel’s book where he explicitly defines Silver Rich, if you can contact him and get him to rescind this page, then I will conceded that the polarizing word was inaprpriate for ADOX to have used in their press relase, see this page:
http://books.google.com/books?id=x4q...abular&f=false

BTW, in a few hours, Mirko is going to be at Photokina, I believe he said he will have the film there, you mention ADOX should be getting the film out there, I think that was the intent of this thread, hopefully someone in Germany can talk to him tomorrow and get a roll shot!! Do upadate with some intel folks...