Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
Oh but I have. Both for them and for myself.

They know I don't even own one, so their expectations are forced to zero. And I know I'm not so narcissistic that it can't wait until I see them. Or find a regular telephone.

Mercifully, you'll never be forced while washing your hands at Seattle-Tacoma Airport after a flight to listen to me trying to close a business deal while I'm sitting on the can. And I am perfectly capable of selecting a brand of toilet paper without needing to spend one of my lifelines consulting anyone via a cell phone.

Mobile phones thus wouldn't solve any problems for me, but they would create a whole new set of others. And I'm the one who defines what my problems are and which might benefit from a technological solution—not all of the gadget-maker's marketing departments.

Ken
There are 3 options, when it comes to answering a phone at an inopportune time

1) Turn phone off, it immediately goes to voice mail, if you can't resist answering the phone, this is a good method.
2) Ignore the phone if it is turned on, there is no law that you must answer a phone that rings.
3) Answer phone, with Can't talk right now, can I call you back?

I like being out of contact by not having a cell phone, because I know that some people will expect that the phone is always turned on, always answered, and that talking to them is the most important thing in your life.

Once upon a time I worked shift work, if on nights, before I went to bed I would turn the volume off and unplug the phone from the back of the answering machine. When I got up I checked the messages, and returned those that left messages and were important. Funny though how many people would not leave a message and then call after I got up with, "I have been trying to call you all day, but you didn't answer the phone" and the only thing you think is, "why didn't you leave a message?"