I am considering putting together an exhibition of analog photography, and am seeking discussion and suggestions. I have some experience at mounting both group and solo shows of photography, as well as paintings. There are local venues that can be hired or “borrowed” (no cost) for exhibitions, so that is not a problem.

For a few years before I retired, I thought that once retired, I would put together a group show of several photographers. This has been done by other groups associated with APUG. Notably, I have seen a long thread about our friends in Ireland that put together a show of this sort. There have been others, al well. I would hope to have 35mm, roll and sheet film represented, as well as prints from silver, platinum, platinum/palladium, etc all represented; as well as some alternative techniques.

I am in the Dallas area, and I think limiting this to Texas photographers would give it some appeal, both to the galleries and to any potential audience. (There is no reason this could not be done in other areas, but I’m here.) I can get the venues arranged. I would like to mount the show in Dallas and Ft. Worth, as well as Houston, and either San Antonio or Austin.

I think this can done on a non-profit basis, and I am not looking to make any money. However, I am not looking for it to cost me anything other than time. I have seen other groups on this forum do this by having each photographer cover their share of the costs. That could be done either directly (everybody pays their own framing, shipping, etc., or by a flat fee that would cover some shared costs, if any.

For the content, I could go a number of ways. My first thought was an “invitational”; i.e., I would invite several photographers to submit x number of prints. I also thought of just soliciting open entries, although in either case, there would have to be a selection process to ensure quality and balance.

Other things to consider: Content; i.e. nudes or not. Standards as to print size, and presentation, or simply leave that open. Sales and how to handle them. Etc.

This is just the brief, opening salvo. Please feel free to ask any questions, or offer any constructive comments. Please refrain from telling me this can’t be done, because I know it can. I just want to get it planned well in advance. Part of the planning will be to look at any potential “speedbumps”, as well as making sure I have identified all the potential costs. The shows I have mounted have been paid for without regard to how much it totaled, but I can’t do that with this one, or I’ll end up spending my money to hang other peoples’ prints.

Thanks, all!

David Brown