Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
... or I’ll end up spending my money to hang other peoples’ prints.
Yup. I think it likely that will happen. I am both dismayed by, and in awe of, your altruism – the words I live by (yet sadly have yet to observe) being, "No good deed goes unpunished".

I would make your first show invitational only so you can peg costs and reduce the expectations of untested exhibitors. You select, you curate. Solicit anticipated costs (including sales costs) + margin up front, with a promise to return any unused funds amongst the "artists" (keeping books ). To keep it ultra simple, make each artist responsible for their own sales. The transacting of money from sales and artists will be sticky legally, non-profit and all. I would get legal advice on how to handle that from a good TX business attorney (any old Enron ones lying around? ), because that may be the only way to collect and process money from sales.

Be sure to include hanging and display (paint, lights?) costs. Experience tells me many artists simply do not understand "ready to hang". Provide them with a checklist of your requirements, including frame style and size. Do not accept work that has not is not "ready to hang". Make a professional looking (self-published) book ($$) with artist contacts for the show.

I think analog only is less important to the viewing public than the subject and style. Analog can certainly be your requirement, I just wouldn't make that the primary design criteria for the exhibition. I wouldn't restrict the sizes of work on the first go–around from different artists, particularly if the general idea is to showcase analog. Maybe later as you continue you fine tune your shows.

BTW, I designed and operated a gallery once upon a time, I don't live in TX, and no longer show – so I don't have a dog in this fight.

Best of Luck (...and I think you should have your head examined)