Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
Yes, we talk a lot about gear and techniques, and sometimes very fanatically so, but have you been to other (digital) photography forums recently?
Yes, I have. It's all relative – different strokes for different folks. The OP's observation (question?) is one that I have avoided on these forums since joining in 2005. I don't know the reasons for his voicing it, but for some people (the silent minority?), all the gear talk, as opposed to the actual making of photographs, can be overwhelming, oppressive, and pointless. The digital forums are fundamentally, and perhaps even necessarily, about gear and technology. As far as I can tell, the way one improves one's digital image making is through the constant acquisition of newer, better, more mega-pixeled gear for the taking, processing, and printing of images. Being APUG, one assumes, perhaps incorrectly as it turns out, that the photographic goal might be the creation of a hand made print.

And I resent the implication that I either don't know my way around the internet, or am too much of a Luddite to appreciate the charms of digital photography.