Early on, there's an essay that had the fortitude of speaking to me with respect to geekery:
http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

What's important, to paraphrase Hegel, is to look at things according to their concept. There's more than one way to be involved with photography, but the confusion of genres is perhaps the paramount mistake to avoid.

I don't think having a genuine interest in photography as an art form is mutually exclusive with a fascination for the technology behind it. Yes, I fondle my Contax IIa every once in a while. But I never fondle my prints and shoved them under people's face just because they were shot with a Zeiss lens. If the picture was crap, it stayed in the garbage can. I never refrained from printing a good picture just because it was made with an "inferior" film/camera/lens/developer/etc.

I also happen to have an academic interest in photography, and then again, it's a different angle of approach that sometimes condemn, sometimes elevate a certain form of geekery for facts or ideas.

I have always found that the great virtue of APUGers is that, even when they experiment with obscure concoctions and tools, they still aim at making an image. Other forums just push people at buying more gear to take yet one more cat/girlfriend/coffee cup/street scene photo.

So, yes, it's fine to give in to geekery. Even the "Great Photographers (tm)" had an obsession with something, whether it's their cameras, their subjects, or their papers. But it will never work as a substitute for another form of interest you may have for it.