Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
Do we really produce anything worth keeping for million years?

Plus, I'm in agreement with Les on visual aspect. Almost all recent technology involve encoding visual image to some kind of form that will require special device to read and an algorithm to decode so we can turn them back into visual images. How are we going to keep those hundreds of different encoding method and reading devices for millions of years? I think we really have a problem here. In few millenniums, future generation won't know much about us, unlike the way we know about our ancestors.
You just answered your own question!

Historians would kill for the most everyday of records from some time periods. That's why I sometimes photograph very unloved 1960s buildings - they may be considered ugly and old-fashioned now and about to be demolished, but go back to the '60s and the general public felt the same about 1890s buildings. Now we mourn their loss while demolishing what the people of 2060 may well regard in the same way. The more images and written works we as a civilisation produce, the better the chance that some of them will survive. That's also why I sometimes just shoot street scenes which at first glance have little artistic merit - they're still a record of that moment on that day.

However, expecting any single media to survive for centuries is a bad idea. I still have 5.25 and 3.15 floppy drives but wouldn't like to guess how much of the data on those disks is still readable. Within the last twenty years we've seen formats come and go (Minidisk for example) regardless of their actual utility. The market is now rigged to have people lust after whatever's new and shiny, never mind whether it's an improvement over what they already have, change for change's sake seems to be the order now.