I don't think it's conspiracy but a natural bias to "prove" one's own belief that one thing is better than another.

There are many good reasons to use digital: convenience, immediacy and ease of transmission through electronic media.
There are just as many good reasons to use film: overall image quality, dynamic range and permanence.

When a person makes a comparison between any two things he should set a standard for comparison and judge his results based on those standards but, too many times, all people really want to do is to prove that their view is right and they will bias their tests in order to get the results they want to see.

Maybe it's an advertiser who is trying to make his product look better in order to generate sales. Maybe it's a consumer who has jumped on the digital bandwagon and wants to convince himself that he has made a good purchase.

In either case, I don't think most people cheat on purpose. I think it's more likely that people just want to bolster their own self-image.