Funnily enough, over the last few days, I've had a chance to play with an Ikon, R3A, Leica M2 (with M6 finder) and my own M3. The Ikon finder is obviously sensational - HUGE, bright and just plain gorgeous... BUT, I agree with you, the RF patch is the worst out of the lot. The M3 wins hands down - although the finder isn't the brightest, it's by far (IMO) the easiest to focus with. That patch is so crisp and detailed... I don't think it's down to sample variation either because I've used a few and also used other newer Leicas all with reputable CLAs. The Bessa is possibly a bit better than the M6 and I really like it also, but every one I've owned has broken or required repair constantly. I hate to say that because I'm not a 'Leica snob' but that's my experience. The Bessa feels nice in the hand but it's simply not in the same class as the Ikon or Leica.

R3A wont be great with 35mm nor will the M3 for that matter. For the same reliability reasons I'd steer away personally from the R2A, so IMO it's the M2/M4x/M6 if you want the best RF performance or just get used to the Ikon. I'm sure the more you live with it you'd adjust. Anyway, that's my 2 cents ;-)