Quote Originally Posted by James-EG View Post
I have been looking for a nice 35mm film camera for a few weeks, I want to buy one and learn how to use it and get better now before I start my Photography A-level next year. The camera I have settled on is the Nikon FM2n, and the lenses so far are 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 and 50mm f/1.4, these are the two that I have found for sale at a good price, but I would also like to buy a 28mm f/2.8.
My question is are these good choices? (including camera) I want a good quality camera without any auto features. Also what kind of accessories would you recommend for a Nikon FM2n? I have found a cable release and SB-25 flash, but what else should I be looking for?

Thanks, James
James,

More advice you don't have to follow from someone who knows a little about GAS: Can't speak to the bodies but I would think either of the FMs would get tired of waiting for you to get up to speed . About the lenses, the 28 f/2.8 AiS is killer; buy it. The 50mm f/1.4? I prefer the f/2 for its look wide open but you're going to wish you had bought the extra stop so go with that 1.4, they're all wonderful. For a tele a 135mm f/3.5 is very sharp and it's cheap and light, but it's also f/3.5. This might be a downer for you. If you're going to go the 105mm f/2.5 route you'll have to work a bit to find one cheap that's not beaten to death. They are the ultimate expression of everything that has become Nikon; you'll be buying the technology and the mythology of Nikon with that one. I doubt you'll regret it. Also look into the 100mm E series. There's at least one person here who speaks very highly of it and he's not inclined to say things he doesn't mean. MY opinion is to ditch the zooms; too many focal lengths from which to pick.

At this point, although there's a universe of stuff left to buy (GAS, remember?), FULL STOP. Cool your jets a bit and think about where you want to go initially with you images. This will determine in part what you want/need to buy next. Your teachers can help you here and APUG too once you get your bearings. Always remember (paraphrasing some economist here) Photography can supply things longer than you can remain solvent.

Welcome, and enjoy. How can you not like this stuff?

s-a