Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
Scanning is a complex process made simple, this appears often to work better then it really does. One area that is difficult with DPI values, is that you really need to know the bit depth as well. For example if the maximum resolution of a film is represented by 4800DPI, then scanning at 9000DPI will not improve things, but increasing the bit depth from 16bits to 32bits, but keeping the resolution the same 4800DPI may actually look better.

Now, there is another issue, the scanner itself, there are plenty of flat bed 1200DPIx16bit scanners out there that will scan at 4800DPIx32bits, they don't actually do this, they scan at 1200DPIx16bits, then use extrapolating software to get the resolution you asked for and do some bit shifting to get 32bit values. I don't know enough about the mechanics of drum scanners to know how much of this they do.

Really though, there is no perfect scan, there is a perfect scan for what you want to do with the image. I never start with a scan, I start with the negative, then set the scanner to get as close to what I want as I can get, resolution is part of that. Scanning should be considered the first step of the printing process, not the last step of negative processing.
what's any of this got to do with apug?
the op posts his drum scans on various forums with no apparent reason other than showing off the fact that he owns one and does scanning for clients (some who sell their boring beach photographs for $$$$). I own two drum scanners. Big phuckin' deal.