Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
Liver of sulfur is not a pure compound but is a mixture of potassium sulfide, potassium polysulfides, and potassium thiosulfate.
This is what I thought and the only place I can find that sells it is Photographers' Formulary however they will not ship it outside of the US. The Moersch toner is the only toner that I can be sure is a polysulfide toner. There are a couple of other toners available. Silverprint stock a Fomatoner Sepia which is described as a sulphide based toner however when you look at the safty data sheet on the website the active ingredient appears to be thiourea. Tetenal have a sulphide toner however I cannot find any further information on the Tetenal website and suspect that this is a sodium sulphide rather than polysulphide based toner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
There are toning formulas based on sodium polysulfide.
Gerald do you have any of these formula? Or can I just substitute sodium polysulfide in the formula I already have? (Tim Rudman Master Photographer's Toning Book P40) Are the results the same? Although sodium polysulfide is as difficult to obtain as liver of sulfur I understand it is relatively easy to produce by dissolving sulfur in hot sodium hydroxide to produce a sodium polysulfide solution.