Quote Originally Posted by Neil Souch
Quick question: Is a stop bath between dev and blix essential with RA-4 in a slot tank (nova) when working at 35 C with 2 litres of chems? The reason I ask is that I have started to get less than white (tending to be very light green) boarders on my prints, when the boarders should be white! I am wondering if a normal strength stop bath would do this? All chems / papers are fresh and the darkroom is light safe, and I do not use a safe light.

Any thoughts would be most welcome,

Neil.
This reply is a long time coming as I have only just joined the site. Most Nova tanks are 3 or 4 slot and using stop bath is worthwhile. It stops dev instantly and avoids contamination of blix and is cheap.

I could never understand how anyone could use the Nova slot processors in the practically non existent light provided by most colour safelights until I got a DUKA 50. It opened my eyes literally. When I hear of colour printers saying that printing in absolute darkness is the only safe way I can only assume they have never experienced a DUKA 50.

I noticed in this thread that Kodak Supra III was being blamed for problems due probably to age or storage.My experience of Kodak Supra III is totally different as well. I bought a Jobo processor secondhand and the seller gave me Kodak Supra III paper which was then quite old. I only used up the paper a few weeks ago after having it for over a year and could detect no problems with it. It had sat in my darkroom at normal room temp for about a year. The previous owner may have kept it refrigerated but I think not. So my experience is that storage may not be as critical as claimed. Likewise print dev processing time. I have never found this to be critical to the second or even several seconds, having on many occasions inadvertently allowed the Jobo processor to run on before pouring out developer.

Unless you or your print viewers are very critical or can judge prints to a degree that eludes me and my viewers then processing is less critical is supposed. The only exception to that I have found is that print exposure is quite critical but an enlarger timer and colour analyser takes care of accuracy in that area.

Pentaxuser