Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
Every day, Clay, I wonder exactly the same, and right now there is nothing but a little stump left of the Kodak leg. Four black and white films now, Tri-X 400 roll, Tri-X 320 sheet, Tmax 100 and 400. No chromes, but Portra 160/400, Ektar, and a couple of consumer films. It's becoming a very thin herd, and Ilford is by far the most diverse from a total product standpoint. It's very sad.
Welll...that's about what we had in Kodak black and white when I started out. There were three films in 35mm, Pan-X, Plus-X, and Tri-X. I couldn't afford to shoot medium or large format at the time but I know there was also Verichrome pan in 120 and Ektapan in sheets. I think that was about it for general purpose films. Color negative had the consumer Kodacolor (ASA 80) and pro Vericolor, types S and L. In slide film you could choose from Kodachrome 25 and 64 and Ektachrome at 64 and High Speed Ektachrome at 160, plus tungsten versions of the latter two films.

I'm not saying I'm liking the current situation, as I've sure enjoyed the abundant choices that were created in the meantime. Kodak has all but made itself irrelevant to me in black and white now. I love Tri-X, and that's the only reason it isn't irrelevant. I shoot TMY-2 in 4x5 but don't have to. If Kodak quit making 4x5 I'd shrug and go to HP5+ (and maybe drop Ilford a line begging for Delta 400 in sheets again, but use HP5+ until that happened.) We have Ilford and Foma and some coated in Germany films from Adox, plus Acros and the reported return of Neopan 400 in both 35mm and 120. On the whole black and white is doing better than I feared it would be with the digital onslaught.