Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
With all respect to your lament about what film photography once was, it is no more - it is time to look forward to what is around us now, what ever that may be, and as ugly or meaningless as it might seem to us.

Nothing is better then a good, sustainable business plan, and even with that as you note the world around us is changing and some things become obsolete.
Artists never have any money regardless of the shape of the economy, .
Not sure how long you have been in the biz - me almost 30yrs, 1st and 1/2 that time as a shooter in NYC. Not many have the perspective I have on the industry I have here. Someone will always figure out a way to make a business work in any market. While one would think the best place for a small custom analog shop to be would be NYC, after 911 well over 3/4 of them closed. Offering digital services was no help. Its very hard to move a photo lab. The EQ can only sustain so much abuse. When we moved to Denver it was to save the business. The cost alone for rent would be 20x our current mortgage.

Unfortunately I know all too well about 'good business plans'. We would not have survived this long without it. While there are some positive things happening, the negative far out-weigh the good in our industry. To put icing on the rotten cake is just fooling yourself. If 911 taut me anything it was never to be caught with pants down again.

I would disagree with your synopsis of the arts however. It depends on the economy when artists have money. Our industry today is extremely volatile. When changes are made to adjust another wrench is thrown into the gear-box.

The original point I was making is what is left in our industry needs to pool together, because we are dependent on each other. If most of the players continue to do as they are doing - standing by, watching others drown - our industry is certain to die very quickly.