As stated above I referred to industrial processing.

And yes, if someone would view transparencies, movies etc. at such a facility he surely would not see the images as pictures any longer.

What still puzzles me is that statement of that Kodak man as well as two statements here hinting at substantial viewing of films at processing labs.

In case I would design an industrial processing of S-8 film, I would employ sufficient sampling, both for densitometric control as well for visual inspection. But that would only for the smallest part be done on client films, and still deliver better information. The only sampling of client films would be needed to check for mechanical faults and light leaks occurred at the stage of extracting film from the cartridge. But this inspection would surely not involve looking at frames.

The only further need to look at client films on a regular base would be if one would like to check on the film stock itself.
That may involve emulsion deficits, not controlled on by the manufacturer, or visible only after a period of time, or to check for typical storage, transport, handling, exposure faults.