My point is very clear in these replies and it is this mentality that is sinking the analog/photographic ship.

All companies can survive if they offer product that serves a need, 'when needed'. How long that will last depends. In this industry everything is inter-connected. If one thing happens, it affects everyone in one way or another. Id say 1/2 of this forum are DIYer's. The rest rely on photographic services. Even DIYer's aren't strictly DIY. Lab service and Lab closing is a wide topic here. My guess is in the distant future there wont be 'any' service, it will be to expensive for most and when the volume drops to an unsustainable level, ALL labs will close. This all because interconnected industry made the materials so costly, you could not afford the service.
Connected to this are other costs the consumer must endure: shipping[up150% in 18mo], film cost, etc..
When ALL labs close how many do you think will buy the stuff needed to make photography? Not enough to keep the film companies alive - they need volume. so, how many are going to learn enough chemistry - or have the time - to go buy Rons book and make their own film/plates/paper ? Not many. So you see, its all connected and today we-all do not help each other.

It is my observation of an industry as a whole from years of watching it and being waste-deep in it for years. "you asked me before" - what.. If you see something different, then this is part of the problem. I dont think we need pages of this kind of data and debate here - this might be better suited in a round-table over coffee..

Quote Originally Posted by lensman_nh View Post
I would say there are pooling together, but not necessarily in a way then benefits you. The Jobo CPP-3 will need low volume chemistry available for it to be a success. Enter Champion and re-enter Tetenal. Like I said there will be those that don't fit the new ecosystem and will vanish. "Your industry" as you put it is changing beyond recognition to the point it may not be your industry any more in any recognizable form. As it evolves the dependencies change. You may not be a critical component of the new industry.

It happened to my small comapny last year (different market). We made a mis-step, and couldn't recover in time in response to the market. Once you can't meet payroll it's all over, and it sucks. Prior success is no guarantee of future success, and it would have been close run if we hadn't tripped up. So I'm a wage slave again. It happens.

I asked you this question before. What do you think this "pooling together" looks like. Put something down so we can see what your vision of the industry is.