Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
now it is just a promise --
Exactly my point. I am not trying to pick on you specifically, or anyone else in this forum. I am just letting off steam and ranting a little.

It seems to be a national malaise. It's OK. It is an ugly bankruptcy. It was just a promise. Everyone just seems to accept it. Nobody seems to get pissed about this anymore.

Sorry, I'm sure it appears that my liberal roots are showing, but I was raised to believe that my promise was my word. I don't think of it as liberal or conservative. If you do not believe that you can continue providing this benefit then quit promising it. Those that hire on after you quit promising it have no expectation. But don't take it away from those that were promised. Especially when you have been providing it.

In my opinion many of the gains that were made in the 20th century are being rapidly bled away and we will soon be back where we were in the early 1900s. Companies can do anything they believe is necessary to secure their own future, as well as the future of the wealthy class that own and run these businesses. God forbid some banker should go bankrupt. Without his wealth everyone will suffer!!

And people wonder why the difference between the haves and have-nots has grown so massive over the past few years in the United States.

Sorry for the extended rant. I'll settle down and be quiet now.