Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
Why are they uninsured???? And will be insured in four months???? A typical private family premium comparable to employee benefits would cost $30,000 per year with a 5,000 deductible and 250K lifetime cap. Lose your job and a single serious illness will bankrupt you for decades. Yeah, you can
go onto Cobra for a year or so for about $1200 per month per person, but how long can that last if you're out of a job. Lots of heath care workers don't even have health insurance, unless they're unionized. If you're conspicuously poor there are sometimes provisions, but anyone middle-class with a health issue who loses their job is gonna become poor really fast, because there's a huge gap in coverage for them until they're old enough for Medicare to kick in. It's easy enough to go from a modest six-figure income to outright homeless over a single health incident. Seen it happen plenty of
times around here, and we've got the strongest economy in the country.
Drew, I don't dispute any of the terrible results of lacking insurance. Both of my grandmothers were wiped out by my grandfather's illnesses. I have had to buy my own insurance before. Your $30,000 is nonsense. I just priced $500-1000 deductible policies for a family of 4 in Colorado at http://www.ehealthinsurance.com. It showed 9 plans from 5 different insurers and they ranged from $680 to $1336 per month. None had a lifetime max. It may no longer be allowed.