What focal length is your definition of a portrait lens?

I own a Hasselblad 500cm with the 80mm Planar. The 80mm is great for full length portraiture or environmental portraiture. If you are looking for 3/4 length shots or closer then you may want something longer.

Most people want a normal lens and/or short telephoto lens for portraiture. With Hasselblad they normally look at the 80mm, 100mm, 150mm and 180mm lenses.

The 80 and 150 are earlier designs while the 100 and 180 benefit from computer designing and are sharper and I might add, heavier and of course more expensive.

The Hasselblad softar filters were always popular for shooting women with the 150mm because some considered it too sharp. So I guess you need to decide how sharp a lens you need and how much you are willing to pay for it. If your lens is too sharp you can always soften it with a softar filter.

In my opinion, if you are a portrait shooter only, I would buy the 80mm and the 150mm. If you also plan on using the lenses for other work and do not shoot large format, I would very much consider the 100mm and 180mm which are some of the sharpest lenses for the Hasselblad. The 60mm is another ultra sharp lens and it is great for group shots.