I was recently invited to be a "photographer" for a significant event. My colleague (who's in his middle age) has a son (who is 20 something) who was going to propose to his girlfriend. I was there to record this "historical" event. The "son" wanted "good" photographs so his father asked me to do the honor. (which I gladly did) Oh, by the way, she said YES!

I captured the "moment" and soon after, all the family gathered to congratulate the couple. At which point, all of their younger siblings came, pulled out their camera phones and stood right in front of me nearly completely obstructing my ability to take photographs. It was like they didn't see me (and surely, they didn't care) being a photographer trying to get a shot for the couple and the parents.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised but, to be honest, I was. Apparently, it was far more important for them to capture this "significant event" and shoot it across the "net" to their friends so they know NOW. Megan has to hear before anyone else does because she's my BFF! or something like that... In 30 seconds or less, it was all over the social media and people started responding. I'm pretty sure, in few days, no one will care their friends got engaged....

I dunno... that was a day I felt old. "They" have different priorities. Now, now, now... got to upload NOW and let the "friends" (quoted for a reason) know now!

On the flip side, I developed an appreciation for my colleague and his young son's appreciation for a good photograph - to be treasured by them and displayed in the future family room.

I've actually seen this at weddings, too. People pull out their phone and take a shoot and start tapping.... Somehow, I think priorities are messed up...