Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
Generally I would agree with you. The client is purchasing primarily the end product, so any process that produces that desired end product is "relevant." I think what eddie and the others are implying is that analog photography is becoming a "desired" medium not because of the materials used of themselves, but because of the worker wrestling with the disappearing materials, rising costs, and relative difficulty of obtaining, and maintaining a darkroom. Perhaps those who choose to work this way are becoming perceived as people who can be trusted to produce important and collectible work because they choose to struggle with these limitations and excel regardless. Don't get me wrong, junk is still junk and fine work is still fine work. This is a lot like the "blue sky" a business creates over time. It's those intangibles of integrity, diligence, craftsmanship, customer service, value, etc. that lead a person to do business with company X and not company Y. Not every business has it or can create it on demand, but it does have monetary value.

Steve

Steve,

I see what you are saying, and in a perfect world, that's just the way I'd want it to be. My feeling is that we are talking about a very tiny crowd of people who are able to appreciate, and willing to buy, a print of an image that originated from film and processed in a fully analogue environment, just because of it. There is no denying that today, some of the most beautiful prints are produced using hybrid processes. Sandy King's carbons, Paul Taylor's, Jon Goodman's, Lothar Osterburg's photogravures are just a few examples. Whether any of the images were shot using film is almost irrelevant to the prospective buyer. So, what I really see, is a market dominated by committed photographers who are using film AND digital, to create handmade prints, in a fully analogue and hybrid manner, that are beautiful, relevant and collectable. The important distinction, for ME is: analogue/hybrid printing and fully digital printing, not film vs digital photography/capture.
From my personal standpoint, and as an example, I am now exclusively focusing on copper plate photogravure, using a hybrid process. Why? Because even with some digital thrown in, the process is a bitch to master, unique, and the prints absolutely beautiful. They stand out and that's not something that anyone wants to or can do. From a marketing perspective, it matters. Most of the images are from film and some from digital. NOBODY could tell the difference on paper, and NOBODY really cares. That's reality. What they are buying is an image that moves them, printed on beautiful art paper, using a process that is laborious, time consuming, frustrating at times, expensive, but again, the end result are gorgeous, unique, handmade prints and that's where a lot of the value lies.

Best,

Max