Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
And the mythological characterization of the hours spend toiling in the darkroom for the "perfect" print has no more credence that a digital photographer working on his computer for the same thing. Even though in digital, the print is relatively effortless, the post production is not.
I guess I live in and serve a different market then, a more inquisitive and cultured clientele, certainly with deeper pockets. Because in most cases, once the raw talent hooks the viewer with that "Curb Appeal", they are very interested in what they are looking at and what the life of the artist is like...how do they spend their time and what did they do to arrive at the final product. Every single magazine and newspaper who publishes an article about a featured artist goes into quite a bit of detail about the process.

Even though digital output is starting to catch on in some of our local galleries, darkroom prints from super talented photographers who could sell an image printed on a McDonald's sack it is so good are doing better than their digital counterparts with a real print, not a computer made one.

And that is the rub really, these are buyers that often use computers, some are even photo enthusiasts who have dabbled in photoshop to create things...even they tend to have more regard, respect and a restless admiration for those who do none of it via what everyone else in the world uses for nearly everything, the great big democratizing funnel known as the computer.

I have been seriously selling fine art prints for about 7 months now and in that time, my prices have doubled, my sales have too and whenever a potential buyer is on the fence about an image that they otherwise love, once they find out it never came close to a damn computer, out comes the checkbook.....

So yes, if you are showing amazing work *and* it is 100% pure photography, no computer anything, depending on who your market is, it can and often will have more value and as film use becomes even more niche, this trend will only continue.

But it HAS to be great work, period.