Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
I guess I live in and serve a different market then, a more inquisitive and cultured clientele, certainly with deeper pockets. Because in most cases, once the raw talent hooks the viewer with that "Curb Appeal", they are very interested in what they are looking at and what the life of the artist is like...how do they spend their time and what did they do to arrive at the final product. Every single magazine and newspaper who publishes an article about a featured artist goes into quite a bit of detail about the process.

Even though digital output is starting to catch on in some of our local galleries, darkroom prints from super talented photographers who could sell an image printed on a McDonald's sack it is so good are doing better than their digital counterparts with a real print, not a computer made one.

And that is the rub really, these are buyers that often use computers, some are even photo enthusiasts who have dabbled in photoshop to create things...even they tend to have more regard, respect and a restless admiration for those who do none of it via what everyone else in the world uses for nearly everything, the great big democratizing funnel known as the computer.
I'll second this sentiment here in Santa Fe. The galleries that are selling inkjets are hurting and the silver printers and other methods seem to still have a better market appeal. There's a crap ton of galleries here and the sharpened, colorful inkjet prints, I think, are becoming so ubiquitous that I don't find it strange that someone pulling out a checkbook feels a bit hesitant in plopping down fat cash for something you can find practically anywhere. Granted, the images still need to be amazing to get the sale in the beginning. I saw this first hand when I heard a couple of tourist talking about some works in a gallery here in town. "Oh, these are wonderful images. I really like this one" followed by the next series, equally beautiful and done by the same photography except done in silver "Honey, these are darkroom prints. WOW, that's spectacular". They had noted "Darkroom Enlargments - Fiber - Gold Toned".

Dick Sullivan shares some of this view in a recent post on his blog: http://thecarbonworks.com/blog/?p=1309