Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
What they are buying is an image that moves them, printed on beautiful art paper, using a process that is laborious, time consuming, frustrating at times, expensive, but again, the end result are gorgeous, unique, handmade prints and that's where a lot of the value lies.
I think that, quality and appeal of the image aside, a good marketer would always find the way to sell the laborious, time consuming, frustrating, unique, handmade, non-repeatable and rare attributes as an added value. The qualities quoted by Massimo are exactly what might, in the future, make analogue stand out. I repeat I mean that coeteris paribus. The fact that the process used by Massimo is "hybrid" and not strictly entirely analogue is not the point. The point is that the halo of sanctity which shines over carefully handmade objects is a selling point and adds value even in those cases where the numeric-controlled machine would in theory make a better work.

If that wasn't the case people would buy reproduction of famous paintings instead of original paintings. With modern techniques it is possible to have a PERFECT-looking reproduction of let's say a painting by Caravaggio, with all the paint relief, which is probably indistinguishable from the original at first, second and third sight. But the mind knows it's just a factory product.

There's a mystique in "hand-made" objects which sells. Digital workflow even when "laborious, time consuming and frustrating" IMO will never manage to acquire the same halo.

All this cannot be a substitute for the basic qualities of a print, its visual appeal etc. But it can be used as an added point of interest, and as an added point of value.