The biggest 'compact' flourescent I have seen recently in a photo retailer looks to have three u shaped tubes that connect to one base.
The base is quite wide before it tapers to the meduim screw shell section.
So while it may screw into the socket you have, it's base may be too wide for the throat of the old hot light reflectors.