Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
In my continuing quest for better camera precision in a flat bed, perhaps non folding field camera I have been looking into Ebony 4x5 cameras as options.

Everything I've ever read about Ebony cameras is positive. But I never considered one because I've always been afraid of wooden cameras. My assumption was that no matter how precise it is when you buy it, or how well built it is, wood will inevitably shrink/swell/warp etc over time with temperature and humidity changes, causing a loss of alignment.

Yet, people still buy them - and they ain't exactly cheap, meaning they are bought by serious and/or professional photographers.

So am I wrong about avoiding a wooden camera, particularly for work with shorter lenses ranging from say 72-150mm?
My Deardorff V8 is the 54th one made with front swings, in 1950. It is as solid and functional today as it was the day it was made, including the original bellows. These cameras were made of wood which was seasoned for decades, they do not shrink/swell/warp, and mine has not worn significantly despite showing cosmetic signs of extensive use.
Wood cameras are not metal, however. You might be better served by one of the metal field cameras, say a Calumet C1 or a Kodak Master. For very short lenses, use a monorail.