The Universal Silar was sold by A.O. Roth, the Hugo Meyer importer in the UK, they appear to be identical to the similar Linhof but at the time there was a lot of rebadging particularly by/for distributors.

Roth/Meyer sold the Universal with an f4 Plasmat or an f4.5 Plasmat set giving 3 folcal lenght options. They weren't cheap 46 5/6 for the 10x15cm modelwith the plain 7" Plasmat which splits to give a single cell of 12" FL, the f4.5 Plasmat set was cheaper 41 8s the lens set gave 6" combined and 9 7/8" and 14" separately. (That's 1929 prices). The lens was approx half the total price and ironically in the UK the Linhofs were cheaper due to the lower price of the Tesaar lenses compareds to the more modern Meyer Plasmat. 7" f4.5 Tessar 13 5s in a Compur, the Meyer f4 Plasmat is 22 10 in a standard mount, a Compur adds about 3 that's a very significant difference in lens prices.

Just looking at my 1928 BJPA and it's called a - Uninversal Plasmat (convertible) (3 Foci) "Silar" Camera. Sands Hunter are the Linhof importer at that point.

I'm sure I have another earlier BJPA with the listing for both the Silar Universal and the Lihnof in the new goods section, possibly 1921, I'll look when I'm back in the UK later this week.

There's another factor which has just struck me companies like Hugo Meyer in the 1920's and 30's are selling cameras as a platform for their own lenses, The Silar obviously has Meyer lenses but they also sold many other cameras without the original manufacturers name including a 35mm Multiple Exposure Focal Plane Camera with an f1.5 Meyer Plasmat lens, quite obviously a Leica. Linhofs are sold with CZJ lenses.

Another example in the UK is Dallmeyer Reflex cameras, these are sourced from at lest 3 competitors Thornton Pickard, Houghton (Butcher), Newman & Guardia.

Ian