Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Ok, try this. Make a test strip that goes to maximum black on the paper but keep blasting it with additional strips of exposure. Lay the processed and dried paper on an opaque surface and check for the darkest strip, now hold it up to the light. You can now see all those darker bands. So, even how you hold a print to view it influences D-max.
IC, I value your posts very much, and I have always learned something from you, thank you. I have done what you have just suggested, but I am afraid I cannot see what you have seen. I have a few test strips, on MGWT FB, in front of me. All exposed using different grades. Each has a fairly full range, from paper base white, to DMax. All the strips that have been "blasted" beyond maximum black read the same on my reflection densitometer, and, unfortunately, I cannot distinguish their boundaries even under a strong light. What I am saying is that my reflection densitometer seems to indicate a DMax value at the very level at which my eye cannot do better.

I am aware that we perceive reflected shadows and highlights in a relative way, depending on the surrounding environment and illumination, very much. This would be the same, I feel, to how I would see shadows and highlights in a transmission scenario, when looking at a negative, in various environments and illumination. However, in both cases, I find that the densitometer, in reflection or transmission mode, seems to agree with what my eye sees, given enough illumination or more.

I am sure I must be missing a point you were trying to make, or perhaps I am not seeing the effect you have described. Many thanks for your suggestions.