Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
You guys that are using the bulk film. May I ask what bulk loader you are using and what are you using for new/used film canisters?

Additionally, never having used or even seen anyone use a bulk loader.......is it hard? Can I do it on my kitchen counter or do I need to be in the dark? Seriously, for a noob, will this be hard to do?

I really haven't looked, are any of the E-6 slide films available in bulk? I am trying to switch to much more slide film usage and getting away from negative type film.....what are my options? I mainly will be using 120, with some 35mm usage too.

Thanks,

Bob E.
May I ask what bulk loader you are using and what are you using for new/used film canisters?
I use the Llyod because it's stone simple and wastes less film. All of them expose some of the film closest to the spool so you can't just wind until your camera won't wind, or you'll have the final frame fogged. Others like the designs with the mechanical frame counters. The Llyod's has a felt light trap. Some people worry about scratches if it gets grit embedded in it. While that could certainly happen, if you keep it even reasonably clean it won't, in my experience. No one worries about the felt trap on a film cartridge, and the film passes through that at least twice, three times if you don't open the end in the darkroom.

.is it hard? Can I do it on my kitchen counter or do I need to be in the dark?
No, it's not hard. It's actually pretty easy, but can be a bit fidlly especially at first. You will need to load the 100'* roll of bulk film into the loader in total darkness, but once it's loaded you can close the loader and then load all your film cartridges in room light. (*Some films used to also be available in 50' lengths and occasionally shorter but I haven't seen one shorter than 100' in many years. If it's still sold that way I'm not aware of it.)

are any of the E-6 slide films available in bulk?
Kodak E6 is no longer made at all of course, and hadn't been available in bulk for some time but some might still be around. Fuji is not available in bulk AFAIK. I've heard the Rollei CR200 film is, but I haven't actually seen it listed for sale in bulk.

AFAIK color neg is not available either, other than re-packaged motion picture film (and then there are issues with the processing to be dealt with.)

To my knowledge only black and white films are still readily available in bulk rolls.