As was said earlier, there's no real hard & fast divide between a "professional" and "amateur" camera--the real difference is behind the camera. An FE was and is capable of doing the job in well over 90% of the situations a pro might find himself/herself in. And, in fact, if discretion is part of getting the job done, the FE is a better choice than some "pro" cameras--I often find myself wishing Nikon could cram the guts of a digital camera into an FE body, with its superior size (smaller = better to me), rugged construction and comparatively excellent viewfinder (particularly when pimped with a K3 screen).

In the days of film, the camera body was about the least important aspect of the gear equation--the lenses you put on the front of it and the film you put in it were much more important. As you could mount the best Nikkors on the FE and load the finest film in it, it could produce results the equal of any camera in the Nikon line.

I love the FE so much that when my first one--a bit tatty with age, but ever dependable--was stolen last year, I searched around and got another to replace it as soon as possible. I don't use it as much as I once did, but it is so fun to shoot with that I regularly find excuses to pull it out and let it play on occasion, just to renew our joyful friendship. It's a great little camera!

Oh, and to correct a slight misstatement offered earlier--the MD-11 motor drive will drain the batteries if you forget and leave it turned on, but this was rectified in the MD-12--it will turn the meter off after a period of inactivity, saving battery power. I've got an MD-12, and it's really an excellent--and, nowadays, pretty cheap--addition to the camera's functionality in certain situations, when the increase in size/weight may not be a problem.