Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Robbins View Post
The thing that held me back from getting or making a pinhole camera is the lack of sharpness. Most of the pinhole pics I've seen are just soft. I know that's part of the appeal but it's a level of softness that I think detracts from most images rather than enhances them. I'm not a Leica-type stickler for sharpness -I use a 1924 lens from a folding camera on my Rollei SL66 - but there surely has to be a minimum level of sharpness. Is a 10x8 pinhole camera likely to provide greater sharpness than smaller formats and, if so, what is it equivalent to? How would it compare to, say, a 400 ISO 35mm negative enlarged to 10x8?

You need to clue up on pinhole photography. Pinhole cameras do not and never will need sharpness. Of course they are soft and out of focus, but you'll see the majority of pinhole cameras have excellent definition, and that's what's important — the forming of a lucid image devoid of technical refinement.

If you want to see sharpness, have a look at a 5x4, 6x6, 6x7, 6x17 or 8x10 image from a traditional camera; any one of which could be enlarged to 81cm+++, or to the limit of the enlarger/printer — and 35mm really doesn't count when you are serious about being s h a r p. But when talking about pinhole cameras — and these cameras in all their simplicity and lack of refinement, have a beauty that is all their own, don't compare the results with those from modern cameras; the ancient scripture of pinhole photography doesn't need the negativity: it's been proven since Da Vinci's time.