Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
How was Noojee?

Lachlan, well, taking away the trail bike riders, dim types in 4WDs and close to indescribable quagmire that is the top campground, I would summarise the time there as good and productive in keeping with thinking about the positives. I have seen worse.

However, one thing that struck me was the apparent poor state of health, or deteriorating health, of the verdure lining either side of the footbridge — the view upstream if you will. Nothing like the beauty in March. It looked pale and gaunt; the usual green livery was gone, replaced with a jumble of wind-toppled debris strewn around the river. This was a repeating theme just about everywhere I went on the walk half-way to Toorongo Falls (I wanted to concentrate on some downstream sections below the falls). The further I walked toward Toorongo Falls, the better the colour of the environment, and everything, everything was flourishing and I had a wonderful 2.5 hours in calm, mild and slightly foggy conditions working Pentaximus and pinhole in several scenic sections.

I don't think it can be recommended as being worthy of a long drive there if you want to see healthy green rainforest; it is not extant there at the footbridge: quite ugly and lifeless would be the right description. But further up it is indeed rewarding, though still a lot of debris from recent storms.

Camping there is forgettable: the top campground had just one 4WD-based camper there doubling as a tow truck to one by one pull out hoons spewing mud all over Creation. That, trailbike riders, hoons in 4WDs driving around at night with lights on... not good. Some aspects of vandalism to infrastructure (a new gate erected to stop vehicles/trailbikes from progressing into rainforest) was noted. It's overall been turned over to the dogs. But I exposed two rolls of Velvia in perfect conditions and came home content and happy with that. Just the odd navigation error that saw me ad 3 hours to a standard 2-hour drive.

Noojee town was good though as usual so quiet that a dog could sleep on Bennett Street without a care of being clobbered, and a suitably delicious latté consumed amongst a group of Ducati riders, a stonemason too, giving a demonstration of stonewalling along the front entrance of the Red Parrot Café.

I'm over it and that drive. Now we can look forward to The Pinnacles!