Thanks for all the support and good suggestions, folks. As those who followed along know by now, I bit off more than I could chew with this trip, given that I had to be back in New England by the beginning of November. And I have to admit that traveling alone got old faster than I thought it would. I end now with 38 rolls of 120, 9 rolls of 35 in B&W, 4 in color and 30 sheets of 4x5... about half of what I thought I would shoot, but enough to keep me busy for awhile.
To those who offered companionship for a few hours on the way, I'm sorry not to have contacted you. I got into a "move on, move on" mode and unfortunately let the number of places I wanted to see overwhelm me a bit. In the end, I did about 9000 miles and made it as far north as Vancouver, west to the coast in WA, OR and northern CA, south as far as Albuquerque– and did well over half of the trip on secondary roads. There's a lot of great stuff out there, and I just scratched the surface. If I can just convince my wife that we really need that camper...

Now for a little dark room time.