A few question about Silver Magnet
Hi John and all,
I could have sent PM to you, but I think it's better to post here for collective knowledge benefit.
And in fact, the questions are for all of APUGers that are silver chemistry savvy.
I bought a Silver magnet a little more than a year ago, and I have a few question, now with the past experience :
- As I don't produce a high spent fixer throughput, I store the used fixer in a container, waiting to have enough to worth desilvering. This container, usually in plastic, with the time, get plated with grey sludge, that I presume to be silver sulfur. Does this deposit reduce significantly the amount of silver that can be extracted from the fixer ? Is another type of container (glass ?) should be used ?
- after the first use of silver magnet, I got a thin yellow-grey layer of Ag onto cathode. Then, I unplug the silver magnet, rince it with clear water, and let it dry until next use. The following time, I constated that the layer changed color, becoming grey-black. I presume it's oxydation of silver, the same thing occuring when letting silverware forks to the air. Does this oxydation affects the Silver Magnet function ?
Many thanks for your help
Last edited by Raphael; 10-30-2012 at 08:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
Reason: forgot something