Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
keyofnight - I was hoping you weren't writing off APUG completely but as you can see, there are some strong opinions here. Generally, if it works for you, do it! The difficulty most people have is that they see fads (stand development, water baths, obscure developers, etc.) that somebody uses successfully and then everybody copies, thinking they will have the same success. You see this in people following Ansel Adam's developer/develop times slavishly and then being disappointed their pictures don't look like his - you don't just find this in developers, when I was working in a camera store, I sold a $6k lens to a new photographer because he wanted his pictures to look like the one in the magazine and this is the lens they were using (I tried for 2 hours to talk him out of it, with no luck - it's currently for sale on Craigslist). I have done stand development, it doesn't work for me but I was glad I did it, if nothing else I now know what it does and what I do/don't like about it.

If it works for you (and you seem to think so), keep at it!
I haven't written off APUG. Most web forums are like this: tempers run high when some newb comes in asking questions about something unpopular in the first place. This isn't the first time, and it certainly won't be the last. I try to do as much research/experimentation as I can before posting these things…but you can never research enough to avoid heated tempers.

You're right—people do copy one another blindly, and they have no idea what they're getting themselves into. I think Caffenol is one of those trends that doesn't make a lot of practical sense, but it sounds like fun none the less. I can imagine it has it's place too, though. By the way: it's great that you were one of the camera store salespeople who tried to do good things! Most would've swindled that guy for even more money. (;

Alright! I mixed up some Rodinal the way you suggested before souping a roll. The roll came out pretty consistent and thick, like my first roll. Thanks for the help. (: