Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
Henning: This information is much appreciated. I'm sorry that I was unable to attend PhotoKina this year. Question: was Lucky represented at PhotoKina and if so, were you able to get information/samples of their B+W films? I am curious about the quality and consistency of their B+W films. I have never seen them in the US. Are there any other Chinese companies that properly manufacture B+W films? If they don't sell to the US, do they export elsewhere?
Hello Karl,

Lucky was there, but unfortunately I had no time left to visit their booth.
Just some weeks ago there was an official statement from Lucky that they stop their colour negative film production, it was also posted here on apug:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...roduction.html
Due to the current available data, afaik production of RA-4 paper and BW film is continued.

Well, their BW film: The emulsion has solid quality, but there is no antihalation layer. Some photographers like this and use the film for this "Aura" effect in back light scenes.
Other Chinese manufacturer of BW film: Shanghai. If you want to try some, best is to look for film distributors in HongKong or Macau.

But there are so much excellent BW films from Ilford, Kodak, Fuji, Adox, Maco/Rollei-Film (Agfa-Gevaert), Foma, FilmoTec. I think there is very little necessity to make the hassle with getting Chinese films.

Best regards,
Henning