Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
I have seen reference to this before but cannot find a thread that connects, so if you have given the information before, I'm sorry to ask it again.

I want to start processing B&W film to make transparencies, so which film would you use to give the clearest tint free base? Are there any commercial kits available that I can buy (in UK) to get me started?

Thanks in anticipation.
Hello,

BW transparencies in general look best if your film has (after the reversal development) a very low Dmin value, and a very high Dmax value.
In most cases you get this using films with a clear base. The following films all have a clear base and deliver very good to excellent results reversal processed (in alphabetical order):

Adox Silvermax
Adox CMS 20 II
Agfa Scala 200X
Agfa Copex Rapid
Fomapan R
Ilford Delta 100 (120)
Rollei Retro 80S
Rollei Superpan 200
Rollei Retro 400S
Rollei IR

As you are living in the UK, the most convenient option for you is probably sending your films to one of the 5 BW reversal labs in Germany (Germany is the "paradise for slide film shooters", in no other market reversal film is so popular).
I can recommend Photostudio 13 www.photostudio13.de (they are developing all the above mentioned films in the [modified] Scala reversal process) and
Klaus Wehner www.schwarz-weiss-dia.de (he has designed his own high-end 20-step reversal process).
Both labs do international business / shipping.

Best regards,
Henning