I firmly believe the problem you are dealing with is not related to your materials, or not as much as to stop you from getting the results you want. FP4+ is a popular emulsion, for good reason and both ID-11 (D76) and Rodinal has helped quite a few photographers to get great prints, whatever expression they were after.

I have little experience with scanning, but aiming for a lower contrast negative than is needed for darkroom printing usually takes care of most problems.

So, here's my recommendation: ditch the spot meter for a while, find the incident meter you used to have and go out on a "normal contrast" day, bracket your exposures from EI 25 to EI 200 on your chosen film, develop it and find the frames that give you enough shadow detail. After that, adjust development time to get the desired highlight detail.

With Fomapan 100 overdevelopment can happen rather easily.

You have to decide what is behind your "blocked highlights". Is overdevelopment, a high brightness range or an upswept curve the reason you can't put tone in your highlights easily?

This is my personal opinion, but I think a scanner/its software does so much work in the background to make the picture look good no matter what, that little can be learned by using it.

Only after you can repeatedly get good images (desired tonality) using an incident meter and normal development, would I recommend using the spot meter and the zone system.