Lith prints seem to take to toning much more than a regularly developed print. I'd love to know why, but that's what I've found.

MCC111 is a paper I like to lith with. I've had good luck with it, and have had lots of it that is no longer optimal for regular printing. It doesn't do heaps in selenium. It seems to take colour away rather than add it. Mainly, I use it as a way to reduce the yellowish colour I sometimes get near the end of a session with old developer. I've had more interesting results with partial sepia toning, followed by selenium.

But you're right; that's just the way the paper is.

I find a great way of testing to see how a particular paper reacts to selenium is to mix up a fresh batch of strong selenium toner - let's say 1:5. Then just let loose on a throw away print. Tone it for 10-15 min. Watch what it does. Some papers - Oriental Seagull comes to mind - go through several colour shifts as time goes on. Not all are pleasing, of course, but you'll see what the paper is capable of.

If you've got the Darkroom Cookbook, there's a formula for the Formulary Thiourea Toner. I got nice brown tones out of that. Bleach was probably at around 1:20th strength. The paper bleaches very fast, and you may not get 100% redevelopment. Perhaps better suited for a print that was a bit overdeveloped.

Good luck!