Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
For myself, if I were coating I would likely be targeting 120 size. Then the issue becomes a stable backing paper which doesn't interact with the film instead of how to punch holes.

For what is likely not going to be as good as Plus-X or FP4, I suspect a homemade emulsion would benefit greatly from the larger negative size.

Stable, chemically inert backing paper isn't so easy, however. About the cheapest I ever saw was the stuff on the Shanghai GP3 Chinese film. It seemed almost like children's construction paper. Then you have to print numbers which are chemically inert.

None of this is impossible, but it sure isn't trivial.
Michael,

Good points. I mentioned 35mm because that's my need . It's also narrower and more rolls could come out of a single product run of what might be an expensive product. The paper backing would present issues if the film were stockpiled already rolled. If this were treated somewhat similar to 35mm one could spool it with re-used paper as it was needed. Your camera is already able to advance just the right amount of film between exposures, all the numbers do is help the aging brain keep track of how many times it has done its job. Perhaps buy a couple thousand feet of this paper from Kodak's supplier and re-use it until the zombies are at the door. If there was a little polyester in the paper it might not have to be so disposable.

No, this is not trivial. Think of it as keeping the glass plate guys from having the last laugh. (I could coat microscope slides and use them in my Nikon as a one-shot.)

s-a