The image is not projected as in an enlarger. The exposure onto paper is done through a complicated computer controlled chamber with a quartz lamp providing the light source. I never did understand just how the thing worked, but it worked well when everything was set up properly. Every morning, the printer got calibrated using control strips to keep the output consistent. The advantage to the digital system is that customers could send image files through the internet, we could view them, and correct them, then print then without ever being in a darkroom. My job was to sit at a computer screen and send pictures to the Noritsu printer which was in another room. Previously, the lab used optical printers that projected onto paper in the traditional fashion. The digital method produces better prints quicker with less waste. Personally, I still shoot with film, but I often print with an inkjet printer, rather than getting out the chemicals. I spent 25 years printing color in a commercial lab, using color enlargers, so I do know what a good print looks like! ---john.