Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
Oh and Velvia - curves or not, if there's one film I think takes "very inaccurate but people like the inaccurate look" to an extreme far beyond Kodachrome, it's Velvia. I'm not talking about how well curves match, just the level of saturation. Not many people claim it looks realistic, but people seem to love it. I'm not one of them, finding it exaggerated and garish most of the time, though I do like it for subjects that need a color pop shot in dull lighting.

Kodachrome has a realistic look to me even if I can identify where the color isn't accurate. That's hard to explain but easy to see. There's something about it that looks very "real" somehow.
Probably a result of being an American and us seeing Kodachrome films and pictures constantly up until more recently. That is real to our perceptions.

Funny, I hear that about Velvia all the time too, and I understand it, but frankly when I am out shooting in Canyonlands, Velvia is the only one that actually does catch the vibrancy. Most other films I use don't get close.