Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
A few things come to mind.

AT WHAT PRICE??? The price to develop the film will be $250 per roll. The price per roll might be, what, $200? So nobody will pay to buy the film, and nobody will pay to have the film developed. Any Kodachrome replacement would not be cheap, as in under $50 per roll. Face it, when it was only double the price of E6, it wasn't popular. Steve McCurry started shooting digital instead of Kodachrome in 2005, and Kodachrome was discontinued in 2009.

Like PE said, there's nothing special about the process, because several other manufacturers have done the same thing, and dropped it. Kodak held out. Finally Kodak dropped it. I can't imagine anybody bringing back Kodachrome, especially investing millions in redevelopment, as long as Fuji is making E6. Fact is, I can't imagine anybody bringing it back as long as C41 is available.

If somebody wants to shoot Kodachrome "at any price," that person can do it right now. The price and the minimum order has been stated, and it isn't that exorbitant.
I think the real case was three technologies doing the same thing, and when the market began to shrink, one of them had to go. Rather then dwelling on the past, here is another idea, to save slide imagery.

They coat RA4 emulsion on a film base, the film comes in 8x10 sheets, you take a C41 negative and contact print it on a portion of the film, you can contact print an entire roll if you like, or just selected images, someone can then build an easel to do this, I am sure. Process in RA4 chemicals like a normal print. Then use a paper cutter to cut the images out of the sheet and mount them for projection. Now you have one film technology (C41) and one print technology (RA4), keeping film alive until it becomes retro and everyone wants to get in on the action again.