Chris is right.

Whoops... I did put that in the wrong place. This should have been labeled Ripening. I didn't actually include digestion in that flow chart because it was just a quick sketch made while I was talking to show the very basics. Probably put digestion there because we were talking about it that day. Dyslexics Untie! :-) Given that speed is not so important to me, (remember that I come from startng out with collodion which is much slower) the emulsions I've made in the past don't include any chemical digestion. That will change.

Given my workshop schedule for the past few years, I've had no time at all to shoot my own work or to conduct any new research here at the museum. Having Chris here with the time to experiment with gelatin technology will make it possible to try a lot of different formulas and see if we can coax some interesting results. He is actually the reason why we included gelatin bromide emulsion making, coating and processng in the 2013 schedule. My plan is that he'll be teaching with Ron and me; we need to pass the teaching baton. His first chore....make several batches of clean working emulsion so that he's comfortable with the process and technique. It's a tall order, but we'll get him up to speed soon enough.

We hope that the culture of making hand made gelatin (and collodion) emulsions will be well established with people like Chris, Denise Ross and others by the time the big wheels of industry finally stop making film. Gelatin emulsion makng however is the least active area of hand made photosensitive materials right now. Lots of work to do.

Mark