Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
You can't simply coat the emulsion layers of color print material on a transparent base to make a transparency.

Color print dyes 'get 2 shots at the light' when viewed (light passes through the dyes - hits the base - and is reflected back through the dyes on its way to your eyes) and would make a pretty 'weak' transparency. In addition, color print materials have much lower maximum densities than transparencies (it would be wasted because of front surface reflections of prints).

There WERE Kodak products in the past designed to make display transparencies from color negatives.
Okay you would need to change the emulsion slightly to get a brighter image, the problem with the display transparency materials is that when they were around, you had to buy a roll that would cost as much as a 2 year old car, and would take 30 years to use it all up. I'm talking a material that would be in similar quantities and prices as 8x10 printing paper. You could then transfer a few sheets out of the box, into a light safe, seal up the box and drop it in the deep freeze. Since it's RA4 chemistry, it's the same as your prints, so chemicals would be cheap and easy to obtain. A bigger benefit, you wouldn't really need E6 either. film manufacturers could really produce 3 emulsions a C41 in 100, 400, 1600 ISO and two print materials one for prints and one for transparencies. With a shrinking market share, the fewer materials might be enough to make it economical to make film, until of course 2020 when it becomes retro and takes off again. The would be another side benefit, it would be possible to produce a transparency from a digital image, since it has better preservation then digital or negatives.

I currently plan on getting a roll of traditional B&W film, taking the entire roll of my now 1 year old daughter, then getting that processed, somehow, so that she will have a permanent record of her as a baby, because I realise that nearly all the images taken of her, so far are digital. I have the old B&W prints of when I was her age, taken 50 years ago, then look wonderful now, even if they were taken with a $2 box camera.